Innovative Pedagogy

This week we got the chance to talk via Zoom to Jeff Hopkins to the founder and principal of the Pacific School of Innovation and Inquiry (PSII), and independent school. Our virtual tour through the classroom space felt more like a tour through a house, one that is welcoming and warm and very clean, than one through a school. I think this is helpful for fostering an inquiry mindset, when students feel welcomed they may feel more inclined to ask the tough questions and share their opinions. Not only was PSII warm and welcoming, Jeff showed the many labs and activity rooms they had. One in particular that stood out was the “sensory room” with bookable slots for students to spend time decompressing, relaxing, or just working in an independent space.

Photo by Susan Yin on Unsplash

I was flabbergasted when Hopkins said that students, as young as grade 9, are fully embracing the inquiry pedagogy. Hopkins mentioned that at first students may be a little hesitant because it is a big change from public school pedagogy, but who wouldn’t be? Me, at that age? I would not know what kind of questions to ask. Me – at my current age – I still have problems knowing which questions to ask and how to get answers. I think it is important to get students asking the critical questions and getting comfortable seeking answers from people that are senior to them. The kids that attend this school, as Hopkins mentioned, find talking to university professors and faculty easy and comfortable; whereas most kids from a public high school don’t have this level of comfort.

Not everything is 100% successful. Hopkins did mention that there are students who will make it a year and transfer back into public education or into a different independent school. He muses that this is probably because the parents are choosing PSII and not the student themselves. Hopkins reminded our class that it is imperative that students are interested in what they are pursuing and in the methods by which they get there.

Photo by Marvin Meyer on Unsplash

This whole conversation was done over video conferencing, and we were even able to get a virtual tour of the building thanks to our instructor and Hopkins. The technological advancements we’ve seen have not only helped improve education, but they have also helped with accessibility throughout this worldwide pandemic.

I do want to acknowledge the fact there is both a large technology disparity, and an inequity in the opportunities presented to all ages to learn technology in our community. This disparity can be a point of contention for some students and teachers. I can understand both sides of the argument – although this is an argument for another day.

One last thing. During our class Hopkins commented that he would love to be put out of business. What he means is: he hopes to see public schools start adopting and open inquiry method of learning. I thought this showed his passion and care for the students. I am thankful for this experience.

Happy Learning!