Run and Games

The journey through learning to run and trying to reach my goal of 5km of running without stopping was difficult. I will admit, I did not reach my goal, however, I have learnt a lot about myself and the sport of running along the way. This process showed me how to create a personal learning network and incorporate technology and data into running. I found that once I started tracking my running and finding podcasts and advice about running online I was more excited to go running. I went from getting up in the morning thinking “Well, I guess I have to go on a run for this class”, to where I am now, waking up, excited to put on my running shoes and get out the door.

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash

As I mentioned I didn’t reach my goal of running 5km without adding in any walking breaks. Through the process of attaining the running skill I learnt that it isn’t about how fast you run or for how long – it’s about the intention of the running. I have never been good at sitting still. I strived off the breaks we had between classes to go to the gym, or walk around, or just MOVE is some way. With the pandemic I haven’t had as much of a chance to move between classes, I’m sat in the same seat all day. I quickly found that I was using running as my outlet, a way to get out of my head, really it was a meditation for me.

I am able to run in the mornings with my dog, which lets me get out some of my energy before I have to spend my day sitting at my computer for school. I find running alone, or with my dog, is best for me because I can listen to podcasts and have Zombies! Run playing, which motivates me to run faster and keeps a record of my progress throughout the run (see screen recording). I added some information about the app below the recording if you’re interested!

Photo by Luca Upper on Unsplash

This inquiry has allowed me to explore running and find my passion and joy in it as well as spread this excitement to my friends and family. I have learned that learning isn’t about the destination it’s about the effort and trials along the way. I may not have reached my goal but I have created something for myself that brings me happiness and makes my days just a little bit brighter and that’s what counts.

So this app, Zombies! Run, is amazing. I makes me want to run EVERY DAY. It is entertaining, and keeps me engaged in my running. It tells a story for the run you do and you pick up supplies on the way. It lets you have the choice to be ‘chased’ by zombies, and you can set the difficulty of getting away! These supplies you pick up can be used to upgrade your base and add a bunch of different types of buildings to it.