Digital Footprints Affect Everyone

Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

This week we looked into our own digital footprints. I have always been cautious around my own digital footprint – my mom made me aware of why I should be cautious and how to be safe around the internet. If I’m being honest it is hard to wrap your head around the fact that once you put something online it is never really taken down. Even if you remove it from the site. Have you heard of the wayback machine? Check it out, those websites you thought were gone? They are still accessible through this archive.

As I mentioned there isn’t much to see for my online presence. When I google myself I saw: my Twitter, Linkedin and some scholarships and volunteer work I’ve done throughout my life. I haven’t changed my online behaviour since learning more about the digital footprint because I am already pretty closed off to the public eye. This isn’t to say you can’t find my accounts (facebook, instagram, pinterest, spotify) – it would just take a lot longer. I have an advantage in this regard – I don’t go by my first name (I never have) – and most of these accounts are linked to my first name.

Photo by Felipe Correia on Unsplash

Not everyone is lucky enough to have parents who are familiar with a digital footprint and what it means for your future. I believe we should have a unit in the planning or careers class in high school or middle school to explain to learners how their digital footprint can effect them in the future. There could be a project where students are given time to look into past incidents involving online presence and what effects they had on a persons life (ie. getting fired for posts, getting “discovered” or offered a job based on your presence). This would teach the learners about professionalism online; teachers can relate this to their lives by introducing the effects of cyberbullying – it is unprofessional and happens in and out of school. Students need to be made aware of the effects of posting pictures and content online that could effect more than just themselves. Teachers can show them the best practice is to ask for consent before posting pictures of friends and family.

We need to illustrate to learners that your digital footprint can be beneficial if it is maintained well. Not only do we need to show them the impacts of your online presence but we need to show them how to use online tools to maintain and change their presence. The most important part is to be vocal and stand up for yourself.